Position : Post-doc position on Weak Lensing with Euclid
Location : Osservatorio Astronomico di Roma, Roma, Italy
Position status : Open until November 16, 2017
Starting date : December 1st, 2017
Duration: 1 year can be renewable
Contacts: Roberto Scaramella (roberto.scaramella (at) oa-roma.inaf.it).
Euclid is a mission of the European Space Agency’s (ESA) – see the Euclid Consortium page – with the goal of understanding why the expansion of the Universe is accelerating and the properties of the dark universe (the nature of dark energy). It is planned for launch by the end of 2020.
Mission and activities
The goal of the project is:
– weak lensing data analysis for ground based and space telescope: Euclid case and development of associated analysis software;
– clusters as cosmological tools;
– mass distribution reconstruction of galaxy clusters using gravitational lensing.
Skills and background
Participation in the selection is restricted to Italian and foreign citizens holding the following mandatory minimum requirements:
– PhD degree in Astronomy, Astrophysics or Physics issued by an Italian (or foreign) Advanced Studies Institute or University, or
– Degree Astronomy, Astrophysics or Physics issued according to the previous Italian University regulations or degree in Astronomy, Astrophysics or Physics either “specialistica” or “magistralis” (new Italian University regulations) or equivalent degree issued by an Italian or foreign Advanced Studies Institute or University, together with at least three years of documented experience in scientific activities.
Preferential qualification will be considered:
– experience in the field of gravitational weak lensing;
– scientific publications related to the research themes;
– other work related to the research themes (Laurea Thesis, Ph.D. thesis, communications/posters to meetings).
A good level of knowledge of the English language is required
Applications are to be written on unstamped paper and must be consistent with the attached application form (Attachment 1), with the addition of the date and the signature of the candidate. Applications, to which the requested documentation must be attached, are to be submitted by either:
1) hand delivery to the Astronomical Observatory of Roma;
2) express courier or by registered letter with acknowledgement of receipt.
3) certified mail (PEC) to the address inafoaroma (at) pcert.postecert.it (the date of submission will be certified by the computer system) with attachments in .pdf format.
Details for the submission and of the position can be found in the Bando-Euclid document .
For any further information, please contact Roberto Scaramella (roberto.scaramella (at) oa-roma.inaf.it).