Position: Scientific computing engineer in charge of computing support for the Euclid experiment
Location: Centre de Calcul de l’IN2P3/CNRS, Lyon Villeurbanne, France
Position Status: Open
Length of contract: 1 yr, renewable
Contact: job83 (at) cc.in2p3.fr
Located in Lyon-Villeurbanne (France),the Centre de Calcul de l’IN2P3/CNRS is a national center for computing services dedicated to research needs in the fields of nuclear, particle and astroparticle physics. More than 2500 users from more than 70 international scientific collaborations use its services. The Centre de Calcul is currently one of the level-one computing centres (TIER-1)providing data processing and storage capacity to CERN’s LHC experiments. Its infrastructure is being prepared for future big astroparticle experiments and is one of the nine Science Data Centres in the Euclid Science Ground Segment (SGS).
The CNRS is recruiting an engineer in charge of the support to the Euclid experiment in order to setup the production infrastructure at CC-IN2P3 and assist users. Within the Center’s Support group, made up of10 engineers, the candidate will collaborate closely with the Euclid local coordinator. His or her main functions will be:
- Participation in the setup of the Euclid data processing architecture (computing, storage, network, etc.) within the CC-IN2P3 and at the SGS level, in collaboration with the other Science Data Centres.
- Technical support to the computing activities of the Euclid experiment, in collaboration with the CC-IN2P3 experts: administration of services, resources management, etc.
- Support forthe integration and validation of scientific programs into the production infrastructure.
- User support,in particular to members of the Euclid experiment.
- General support tasks for users of the Centre de Calcul.
Short trips within France and internationally are expected.
- Engineer school/ PhD in cosmology or other fields.
The position to be filled requires various technical skills. Candidates will have skills in one or several of the following fields:
- Good knowledge of Unix systems and shells.
- Experience with programming languages such as C/C++, Python.
- Knowledge of distributed computing: batch systems, grids, clouds, …
- Knowledge of computing architecture and tools used in research collaborations.
- Notions of optimization of a data processing algorithm.
- Capacity of self-organization and collective work.
- Adaptability and sense of service.
- English and French (spoken and written).
The candidates ability to acquire the necessary skills will be considered more than their level of expertise.
A fixed-term contract of one year is proposed, with a possibility for renewal. The position is to be filled as soon as possible. Salary will depend on qualifications and experience.
Candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter, reference letters) by email to job83 (at) cc.in2p3.fr
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. The first selected candidates will be invited to an interview at the Centre de Calcul de l’IN2P3 at Villeurbanne in the month following this publication.The interview will be held in French and English.